Sarah Bender Roshi, and Tenney Nathanson Sensei, Andrew Palmer Sensei & Megan Rundel Sensei
After our Open Source Zen communities came together in July 2022, we felt a desire to flow together from our homes again soon, and the idea of meeting in Tucson was born. It is precious to be in physical presence to share koans, meditation in the still hall, our practice.
Our retreat day runs from 5:30 or 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and includes periods of sitting and walking, Dharma talks and discussion, yoga or qigong, individual meetings with a teacher, vegetarian meals, rest, and walks outside. Ours is primarily a silent retreat! Some previous experience with meditation is necessary. We do our best to make the retreat accessible to people with special physical needs.
The Redemptorist Renewal Center is located at 7101 W. Picture Rocks Road, just outside of Tucson, Arizona on the edge of Saguaro National Park. More information is available at http://desertrenewal.org/.
If this will be your first time attending an Open Source retreat, please contact the Registrar, Irene Webb, at . She will arrange for you to speak with a teacher before registering.
The actual cost of this retreat is $975 per person, which includes accommodations and meals. Your paying at least this amount will help support our sanghas. Registration is on a sliding scale from $875 to $1075 per person, and you choose the rate that is best for you. If you need further assistance, generous scholarships are available; please ask! See the registration form below to make your payment choice.
Something to keep in mind is that the teachers are not receiving compensation from the sanghas for this retreat. It is customary for us as participants to offer support in the form of dana as they generously share themselves and the dharma with us.
A lot of people have expressed interest in this retreat, and there is a limit of 20-22 participants (plus four teachers)!
- Registration will be taken on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Scholarship requests are due with registration; please ask!
- In order to complete registration, a deposit of $100 is due when you submit this form; your registration is not complete until you have made the deposit. If you need additional time to pay the deposit, please contact our registrar Irene Webb, at to discuss details.
- Up to March 1, 2023 we can refund in full your deposit or payment
- From March 1-24, we are able to refund all but $50 of any deposit or payment
- After March 24, we cannot guarantee a refund
Most rooms are single with the option to be double rooms that accommodate two people. All rooms include twin beds, a private bathroom, sheets, blankets, and towels. Meditation cushions, mats, and chairs are available at all times, and you may switch between them as needed. Feel free to bring your own mats and cushions if you would like.
Due to the frequently-changing trajectory of the Covid virus, our protocols may need to change as our retreat date draws closer. We have high hopes for not needing a mask-wearing mandate for our time together in the meditation hall. The conditions that will support a mostly mask-free retreat will require your careful observance of the following:
- Scrupulous Precautions for seven (7) days prior to our April 10 gathering. This means wearing a mask in all group or public situations. Please inform the registrar of any exposure in yourself or your inner circle and we will provide guidance based on CDC recommendations.
- You must have a negative Covid test result within 24 hours prior to arriving. Be sure to use a non-expired home test, and if possible, bring a couple of extras with you to the retreat center. If you are able to get a PCR test result prior to arriving, that will add to ensuring the efficacy of testing.
- If you become symptomatic upon arrival, masks and/or quarantine will be required.
- Initial vaccination is required, and current boosters are strongly recommended.
- Bring extra masks (KN-95 or N95). We may need to wear masks in Work in the Room and in the dining hall serving lines. The retreat center will be hosting other groups concurrently.
In order to make this a safe environment for yourself and everyone else attending, please adhere to these protocols!
The registration and payment due dates are listed above.
Connie Rogers, DRZ Treasurer
625 N. Belvedere Avenue
Tucson AZ 85711-7007
REGISTRATION INFORMATION – Click the following link to complete the Registration Form
Registration is taken on a first-come, first-served basis, and will be secured once we receive your deposit or payment in full.
If you have untreated mental health challenges, we ask that you contact Megan Rundel Sensei at to set up a brief conversation before completing your registration.
A copy of your responses will be emailed to the address you provide.
Please direct any questions about registration or the retreat itself to our Registrar, Irene Webb, at .
We look forward to practicing in community with you!
The Riding-the-Dragon Retreat Planning Committee and Teachers